Core Product Development at Laurels
Growing our small foundational team
Laurels is a social volunteering platform that makes it easy for people to donate their time and expertise to causes they care about. We're building an entirely new way for people to support worthy nonprofits — starting small but with ambitions for global scale.
The company was founded by Jeff and Art, who have successfully started, scaled, and exited multiple high-growth technology businesses. Laurels is venture-backed and ready to grow.
Our experience tells us that early team members establish the DNA for the company. We've tried with this description to be transparent and thoughtful about who would be our ideal new partners in this important mission.
Fundamentally, we care about three things:
- Your ability to think deeply about your work.
- Your ability to deliver results of the highest quality.
- Your ability to communicate with candor and empathy.
If we can find alignment on the above, we are sure we can work together.
As a foundational team member you must have the skill to make significant contributions to at least one of the two core responsibilities: frontend dev or backend dev. We'd be more than happy if you'd be interested in building features "across the stack".
You could also help us with dev ops, UI design, or UI copywriting if you'd like (it is not a requirement though).
Our work is structured in iterations, a systematic approach to project-based work. If you are able to work independently and take ownership of your outputs, you will feel right at home.
We're building Laurels for the long haul, and so your ability to make tradeoffs between new features and codebase health is crucial.
Our web app is written in TypeScript using React, Emotion, TipTap, Reach UI, and Next.js.
If you want to take this responsibility on, you should have experience and deep understanding of what it takes to build modern, responsive apps with (most of) the above tech.
The backend is written in TypeScript using Next.js. We use AWS Neptune with TinkerPop/Gremlin. All server/client communication is tested using Jest.
If you want to take this responsibility on, you should have deep understanding of the above tech and plenty of experience with what it takes to build a stable and scalable platform.
Perks & benefits
- Paid vacation: 4 weeks + your birthday off
- Vacation bonus: We don't want you to burnout. We will pay you a 1000 USD bonus the first time you take 5+ days vacation.
- Remote setup budget: We will give you 1000 USD budget to improve your remote working environment so that you can collaborate on Laurels in maximum comfort.
- Insurance: We make sure that our teammates have appropriate social and health insurance, regardless of where they live.
If you think you might be a good fit, send us an email at email@example.com. It would be helpful if you include a link to your Github account, a recent article you found interesting, and/or anything else that can help us get to know you.